Historic cotton mill in St. Ingbert
The former cotton mill came into use in 1885 and was, at the time, one of only few multi-storied factories in Saarland. The production of cloth and yarn from cotton had to take place on three storeys because the factory was located on cramped premises in the very centre of town. Today, the old cotton mill is the perfect building complex for a conversion into a new object with a new purpose. It is located just a few steps from the train station, shops, the pedestrian zone, town hall, community centre, administrative offices and schools. What's more: the vast premises are situated in close proximity of an international IT company and several international research institutes. Made of red sandstone, the main building, which measures 70 metres in length and 30 metres in width, is a beautiful example of industrial architecture.