château Preisch



brève description: 

In the heart of the three-country-border, at the threshold of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, Germany and Belgium, the feudal fortress had initially been built to defend the nearby medieval town of Rodemack. Even though the original fortification was destroyed in 1680, the dimensions of the former domain can still be imagined with the help of the moats that have been preserved and incorporated in the impressive landscape park of today's castle. Built by Conrad de Soetern and Marguerite de Merode at the beginning of the 17th century, the château consists of two separate entities. With its 17th and 18th century dependencies, the whole site is designed as two u-shapes with two courtyards, that of the château and that of the farmstead. Since 1986, Château de Preisch is listed on the inventory of historic monuments, along with the feudal moat and ditches, the Seigniorial Cross, the dovecote and the gate-houses. The domain of Preisch presently stretches over 170 hectares enclosed by a 7 km wall which surrounds the landscape park, pastures, sheep, a kitchen garden, etc.

pertinent pour un tournage

usage : 
condition générale : 
good overall condition
Classified a historic monument, Sainte Madeleine Chapel was built in 1773 by Francois de Lasalle in the Romanesque style, simple, austere and solid, with a bare interior. A square belfry topped by a slender wooden spire shelters the original bell which, dating back to 1564, had already been part of the former castle chapel. The bell was baptized Magdeleine and can still be heard tolling today. When the chapel was in dire need of renovation, Charles de Gargan decided in 1862 to transform the modest building and to rebuild parts of it in the yellow Jaumont stone which is typical of the Lorraine region. He had a crypt built under the chapel where the members of his family would be buried. He also had a bell tower built, crowned by a 13 metre spire. A sacristy was installed behind the altar. Laurent-Charles Marchal, a renowned glassmaker from Metz, conceived new stained glass windows and a beautiful marble floor mosaic. A white altar was created by artist Charles Jacquemin. All of these architectural and decorative changes were heavily influenced by the 16th century Renaissance style. On both sides of the altar are the funeral monuments of the Schawenbourgs (former feudal lords of Preisch), originally housed in the Chapel of Saint John the Baptist which, dating back to the 16th century, had been part of the original fortress. In 1514, the reeve of Luxembourg, Vogt Jean de Schawenbourg, had a cross erected next to the chapel. The Croix de Prise de Possession symbolises the handing over of the estate to the feudal lords of Preisch, which is said to have taken place in this exact spot. Carved onto the cross are the heraldic arms of the House of Schawenbourg
rural, 170 ha landscape park (105 ha of which belong to a 3 x 9 whole golf course)
ascenseur : 


électricité : 


Marie-Alix Fourquenay