Die Zwiwwel – general store and tobacconist
This might very well be the oldest tobacco shop in the world that’s still in service. The oldest documented proof is from 1873, when a colonial goods store was founded on the premises. But since the building dates back to 1780, it could be assumed that the store has existed before the official founding year. “Die Zwiwwel“ (which means “onion” in the local German dialect) is still being operated as a traditional general store today. Outside and inside look as if time has stood still. The interior has been kept in the original state. The cash register, for example, which is integrated in the counter, has a marking with the date 1873. That same year, the owner of the store was honorably discharged from the army and received a license to sell tobacco products over the counter. The old cement tile floor has been maintained as well as the cobalt blue tiles on the walls. Original glass cabinets, original door with wrought iron grille.