Cristallerie de Saint-Louis-lès-Bitche
Lorraine is a land of artistic traditions, rich in sandstone, sand, water and wood, all major ingredients that go into the making of glass. The commune of Saint-Louis-lès-Bitche houses one of the most prestigious crystal glass manufactorys in the world. In 1586, a glassworks was established in Münzthal. Almost two centuries later, in 1767, King Louis XV granted a permit for the site to become the Royal Glassworks Saint Louis". In 1781, the manufactory became the first in continental Europe to produce lead crystal, an achievement which was recognised the following year by the French Academy of Sciences. The 19th century was a flourishing period for discoveries and inventions in the crystal glass industry, and the 20th century breathed new creative life into the business as well. Heirs of a centuries old tradition, the glass workers of the Cristallerie de Saint Louis are among the finest artisans of the world.