perched on a rock about 80 metres above the town of Bitche, the citadel was built from 1680 onwards by order of Louis XIV, who enlisted the military genius of famous French architect Vauban.
the casemates were built approximately five centuries ago for the protection of the medieval castle and the château of Saarbrücken (Saarbrücken Castle - also featured in the Location Guide).
Saarlouis, named after Louis XIV of France, was built by French military engineer Vauban as a fortification on the banks of the river Saar in 1680. Later, parts of the fortress were slighted.
the first underground tunnels were built in 1644, in the era of Spanish domination.