Rue des Écuries
lined with historic buildings, whose garden terraces are joined across the narrow street by footbridges, the Rue des Écuries is located just steps from the Parc de la P%uFFFDpini%uFFFDre%u201D. The street was built in 1751 between the city walls and the Maisons de la Carri%uFFFDre%u201C. As its name reveals, the Rue des Écuries used to house the Royal Court stables. Its northern end opened onto the southern fa%uFFFDade of the former Duke's Palace. The southern end of the street used to lead to the Terrasse de la P%uFFFDpini%uFFFDre. In 1759, the Conciergerie prisons were built there and today, this same space is occupied by the District Court. Gilded wrought iron gates by local artist Jean Lamour used to close off both ends of the street. When the Conciergerie was built, however, the gates became superfluous and were given a new and prominent home on the Place de la Carri%uFFFDre%u201D where they can be admired still today. The Royal Court stables exist to this day and are being used as sheds and garages.