Europe Monument in Berus
The Europe Monument is situated in the south-western part of the Saarland, in the district of Saarlouis. It stands on a hill, about 360 metres above sea level, in a town called Berus, which is part of the community of Überherrn. The monument is composed of two 18-metre high reinforced concrete pylons standing side by side. The two elements, which represent the nations of France and Germany, pierce through a platform, symbolising their common historic roots. Memorial plaques on the pylons commemorate the work of the Founding Fathers of the European Union Robert Schuman (French politician), Konrad Adenauer (German chancellor), and Alcide de Gasperi (Italian statesman). As a sign of friendship and interdependence between the two neighbours, France and Germany, the monument is crowned by a bundle of metal beams stretching from one pylon to the other. The idea for the creation of this monument is credited to the Saarland´s former minister of finance, Helmut Bulle (1925-1973). A commemorative plaque honours the Berus local who tirelessly advocated the Franco-German reconciliation for the benefit of a united Europe. In 1966, former German chancellor Dr. Konrad Adenauer broke ground on the Europe Monument, which was completed and inaugurated in 1970.