Blast Furnace U4 in Uckange
in 1890, the brothers Stumm, who already possessed a number of plants in the Saar region, founded the Uckange metallurgical plant with four blast furnaces. It was expanded by the addition of two more furnaces in 1904. The location of the site on the banks of the river Moselle, with direct access to not only the waterways but to rail infrastructure as well, allowed for the transportation of cast and pig iron to destinations thousands of kilometres away. To everyone`s big surprise, it was announced in the summer 1991 that the site would be shut down. In 2005, after the site had been abandoned for almost 15 years, the Agglomeration Community of Val de Fensch became its new proprietor. Extensive asbestos removal and safeguarding works were carried out immediately, and the creation of the new Parc du Haut-Fourneau was on its way. On October 1st 2007, it was inaugurated with the spectacular light installation project All the Suns by local visual artist Claude Lévêque.